We Have the Right Coverage for Your Commercial Vehicles

Charlebois Trépanier can advise you soundly on all types of risks requiring specific coverage, regardless of your kind of business or the category of commercial vehicles you own.

Did you know that your company may be responsible for damages in an auto accident, whether your company owns or not the vehicle involved?  That’s one more reason to request the expert o advice of Charlebois Trépanier!

Right Insurance

Vehicle Categories That Fall Under Commercial Automobile Insurance

Commercial Vehicles

  • Stationary storage trailer (e.g. on a construction site)
  • Specialized vehicle (e.g. hearse, ambulance, taxi, tow truck, driving school vehicle, school transport), agricultural use, hobby farm (e.g. wood cutter)
  • Refrigerated vehicle
  • Hazardous goods transportation (e.g. propane tank)
  • Any vehicle used for operating your business, for products, for sales or for transporting people
  • Any business related activity for which a third party will leave their vehicle with you so that you can perform your service, such as lettering, repair and maintenance of any kind, etc.

    Utility Vehicles

    • Truck type vehicle / delivery vehicle
    • Tradesman vehicle
    • Passenger vehicle modified for commercial use
    • Commercial motor vehicle
    • Road tractor
    • Tanker truck
    • Concrete-mixer truck
    • Cargo vans of all types
    • Dump truck
    • Tractor and wood log trailer
    • Livestock semi-trailer

    Talk to Us to Select the Right Insurance Product For You

    The Automobile Insurance Act of Quebec requires that you carry liability insurance of at least $50,000. This insurance protects you for:

    • Damage to your vehicle in the event of a collision that occurs in the province of Québec and for which you are not responsible
    • Property damage and injury to persons for which you are responsible and occurring outside Québec
    • Property damage to others for which you are liable.

    We recommend carrying higher liability insurance coverage than what is required by law.

    You should assess your risks based on your business type of vehicle, related court judgements and consider the exposures to traveling outside of Québec. Each province and country have their own laws. 

    Talk it over with your broker!

    Need Additional Coverage? Let us advise you.

    To be entitled to a compensation when you are responsible for an accident, you must have chosen the right coverage. Indeed, there are different insurance products available to you. Following are a few of them:

    Collision or Upset

    Collision or Upset

    It covers damage in the event of a collision for which you are responsible.

    Accidents Without Collision or Upset

    Accidents Without Collision or Upset

    Among other things, it covers car theft, windshield breakage, fire damage, vandalism, wind, and hail and water damage. It also covers damage from collisions with persons or animals.

    All perils

    All perils

    It includes both coverage described above.

    Specified Risks

    Specified Risks

    It offers limited coverage for very specific risks, such as fire and theft.

    Include Additional coverage to meet your business needs

    You can extend your contract with additional coverage that we refer to as “endorsements”.

    The most common endorsements are:

    • Q.E.F.43 (A to E): replacement value options
    • Q.E.F.20:  Loss of use
    • Q.E.F.27: Civil liability for damage to non-owned automobiles endorsement

    There is a long list of endorsements specific to commercial operations to provide you with broader coverage.

    Did You Know?

    Trailer Used for Storage and/or Office on a Construction Site

    Insurance companies may underwrite risks differently from one to the other. For example, if your insurance company offers to add this trailer onto your commercial contractor’s equipment insurance policy versus making it part of the automobile insurance policy, this may limit coverage in some situations when you want to move the trailer.  

    In that case, if you move your trailer by attaching it to an insured vehicle—that you own or not—, this trailer doesn’t have proper liability coverage if it causes damage to others.  For example, if it gets detached from the vehicle and collides with another vehicle or someone’s property.

    Unless the said trailer is covered by an automobile insurance policy that mentions “for professional activities”, damage to the trailer itself is not covered, neither is damage to others when the trailer is hitched to a vehicle. Any trailer, whether used for storage or construction site office, should be covered by your commercial automobile insurance policy to ensure broader coverage. Call us to discuss!

    Equipment and Attached Accessories

    Any and all equipment or accessories purchased or installed on your commercial vehicle must be reported to your insurance company along with the purchase and installation invoice if possible. In the event of an insured claim, having declared the value of these items, you will be properly indemnified.
    Some examples: snow plow, fixed storage system in a van, alarm system, exterior ladder rack, crane, lift-bucket (cherry picker) or any other type of equipment used for the transport of products or persons, and related or not to your professional activities.

    Never Admit Responsibility

    It is very important to advise your employees and drivers never to admit responsibility following an accident. Laws regulating liability differ from one province to another. Admitting responsibility could compromise the work of your insurer when representing you in the event of litigation.

    Also, make sure your employees know what information to gather in the event of an incident or accident. Our specialized brokers can provide you with a document for that purpose. It will serve as a checklist for a driver in such a situation. This is an important risk management tool.